Room for Rent

There are few things I hate more than looking for a roommate, but it looks like I'm going to have to do it again. My v. cool roommate Mary is moving out to move in with her boyfriend, and all I can do is hope they get an apartment in our building, which would be very fun.

I'm one of those people who actually likes roommates, once you get the right one. The longest I've lived alone is four months, but that sounds pretty rough now, when I'm also working at home. I have had a couple pretty bad experiences, like that girl I took to court, or that temporary lawyer guy. But mostly I've had exceptionally good experiences, like Mary, and my former roommate Julie, who was visiting this weekend. The ideal roommate for me is someone who really wants to live with someone, and likes the idea of coming home and making a martini and watching some B-movie. Or, alternatively, throwing a party. I know that the days of keggers are behind me; but clearly, I still like the idea of having a sort of college-y, social atmosphere around the house. Besides, whenever I want to, I can go to my room and shut the door.

It helps, of course, that I don't have to get up in the morning, and that the roommates I've picked have the same party levels as me (i.e. weekends are fair game weekdays are not). Julie was probably my most social roommate, having lived in Australia and made enough friends to keep us busy for a while. At one point, we had gone 11 weeks of having at least one guest staying with us. And I really liked it, actually (though I can't convince Julie of that).

But really, it was because I had all day to sit typing on the computer. So while everyone was out sightseeing or at the office, I can get my work done, have some alone time and be ready to drink at night. Guests give you the excuse to party in the apartment, which is much cheaper than trekking out to a bar. (which, actually, we also do anyway).

So given my track record, I'm actually a little optimistic about the new one. You can start to get the hang the roommate hunt if you've been at it long enough. You also need a little blind faith, but still, it's not the worst thing in the world.